Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Adventure Running!

It has been a bit of a challenge to get involved in some sort of sporting venture on a regular basis so have had to create my own. This evening I created "adventure running".  It began with a run along the river road paralleling the Pasuig River, which is the road we take to work each day. I thought it would be a good running route as a sort of walking area existed along much of the river/river road ... kind of.

So I ventured out  along the river road pedestrian path and came across a riverside park, entered and ran to the end, doubled back and ran along the park river path to try and hook up with with the pedestrian path along the river and the way home. The path I followed along the river ended with a gate. By this time it was dark so I could not see well what I was up against. I pushed the gate hoping it would allow me to continue on in the direction towards home as I  had already made the home turn (I hate having to double back).   The gate opened (as the venture continued, I realized this out of the way gate was not meant to be opened) and led to a path along the river that was rather derelict - very derelict. I followed the path which narrowed down to a cliff on the left and the river on the right. Eventually, the path led to a 30 foot fence blocking the way. There was a gate which I tried and was locked. So I was faced with an option, double back (which I hate doing) or climb the fence. I investigated the fence climbing option and realized that the first section of fence from about ground level to 10 feet was relatively new and well put together. So I decided to climb - after the first section of fence I came to the next section which was much less put together and was basically mesh wire - it was dark by this time so I could not tell if it was rusted or not. At this point, not trusting the perhaps rusted mesh wire, I grabbed onto a tree root growing out of the fence. It immediately gave way and I was glad I didn't put any weight on it. So I continued upward on the rather sketchy fence hoping not to grab onto any barbwire as this fence was apparently meant to keep people out. I made it to the top without opening up any infection prone cuts, hopped to the sidewalk and carried on my run. I had a good amount of adrenaline fired up so the remainder of the run was solid.

Adventure Running!

No comments: