Thursday, January 31, 2019

January CHILLY 2019

I am able to get all this in on a Wednesday as school has been canceled for today and tomorrow due to extremely cold weather. It is the coldest it has been at least since an arctic blast we had in the 1990's which I remember well as I had to jump my car in the morning to get the battery going - which sucked. The high was predicted to be around -14 and the low in the -20's and then of course there is the wind chill. I took the girls out this a.m. for a forced march which they were not all that excited about and it was -18. So we are kind of hunkered down today inside doing inside stuff.


The kittens are always trying to get outside so we accommodated that desire this a.m. to see how they would react.


 Po did not make it beyond the  porch and was scratching at the door within a minute or so.


Neko on the other hand figured he would warm up in the spot of sun.


So here the girls are ready for another one of my forced marches to get out and experience the world! My poor children - but at least they do it. Emmerson was definitely not into this one which reminded me of one of my other forced marches in rather completely opposite conditions. 


This was on our last trip to Bali. I had rented a scooter for the day and the girls and I were going to tool around the Ubud area exploring. My first destination was a trek to the rice terraces I had seen in one of my previous trips to Bali. We embarked from the parking lot of a school/temple where I parked the scooter and ventured up a path to where I remembered the terraces to be. It was hot and steamy - tropical hot and steamy and the girls were wilting fast. I spurned them on saying the fields were just up over the next hill or around the next corner. Finally I realized I was being ridiculous as the girls were on the edge of tears. I went on a run the next day to find the terraces and they were a few miles beyond where I called off the forced march!


One the March. It was cold to say the least.


At the end of the march with rosy cheeks and a grumpy Emmerson. We just went around the block but even that was enough to get any exposed skin feeling rather off.


Ada had put out a measuring cup of water to see if it would freeze by the time we returned and indeed it did. 


What the girls did for the afternoon - good choice for a chilly day. 


And what the kittens did after surviving their venture out of doors!

No comments: