For the US vs. Germany warm up game a week prior to the first game of the Cup, we took the train down several hours before kick off. Our plan was to leisurely walk to Soldier Field and then see what was going on for pregame. There were lots of people making there way to the game and I must say that the German fans in full lederhosen were amongst my favorite fits. I bought the girls last minute jerseys at Costco! My jersey has an interesting back story. When I played in the international league in Jakarta, there were not enough players from the US to field a full team so we were all soccer mercenaries and signed on to other countries' rosters. I had a connection to the German team, tried out and was accepted because I was decent at that time and my middle name is Stefan - which they enjoyed and often called me for the 4 years I played with them. During the season, we would often have small aside tournaments which required less players to have an official roster. In the international 5 aside tournament, the US was able to muster up enough players for a team and the jersey I am wearing is the top for the uniform of that team!
Emmerson paparazzi shot. She met us at the Brown Line L-stop and did not yet have her jersey which I had brought for her.
All kitted up and ready to go.
Ada working it and Emmerson amused.
Breakfast on the way. Ada working it again - Emmerson not so much.
On the bridge that crosses over the tracks and such from Michigan Avenue to the Soldier Field and Museum complex. There was a Pokemon exhibit at the Field Museum debuting and a rave at Northerly Island so the clientele of the various events made for quite the diverse scene.
There were all sorts of venues and events set up outside the stadium. We had tickets to none but managed to step over a rope into this one. It had lots of food and drink vendors and some neat booths and things to do.
I think this was a collage with a summary of the history of the US team??
This was a fun one sponsored by Home Depot. Emmerson was on the side of the goal with the task of blocking Ada's shot by moving the giant skeleton goalie.
Filled to capacity! It was a great atmosphere - especially after Anthoni Robinson, my favorite player, scored with a banger at the end of the first half to put the US up 1-0. Unfortunately, two mental lapses were taken advantage of by Germany and they won 2-1.
Yaaaayyyy!!
Neko showing his support. These were USA flags handed out to all attendees.
My World Cup jerseys. Emmerson got me this One Piece themed Japan jersey from her school fashion and marketing trip to Brazil in December.
I couldn't commit to getting a US jersey until the excitement resulting from their epic start to the tournament. But by that time it was not easy to get one. I went for the Robinson option and it didn't arrive until half way thru the tournament. Unfortunately, due to "the Sadness", which ended their campaign in, indeed, a sad way, I have not been able to bring myself to wear it again. In time I will, but still too early.
Japan is one of my favorite teams and their away jersey definitely my favorite so went for it. Great World Cup - lots of story lines and very entertaining.





















No comments:
Post a Comment