Friday, August 07, 2026

Art Institute Random Visit

I bought a metra train monthly pass and live a three minute walk from the station so went downtown a lot this summer of 2026. Emmerson is the student manager at the St Vincent Parish Church soup kitchen and I would join her and the team on Monday and Wednesday mornings. She also does the Sunday morning Costco donation haul which is exciting so I go down and do that as well. Afterwards we often hang out and I get her some sustenance - college kids on a budget are quite the characters. So it has been nice to see her downtown and in her Lincoln Ave element. I have also just got on the train without a real plan and see where the city takes me. On this particular day, it was kind of drizzly out, and I recalled that teachers can get in free at the Art Institute if they have their ID card.  So I made my way there and figured I would have a nice no pressure and no expectations stroll. It was awesome!



A foggy, drizzly Michigan Ave - perfect time to duck into the Arti Institute up the steps to the right.


Storm Kingesque outdoor sculpture. Cornwall, NY reference, which about one of the five people that actually look at this site will get. 


Again, this was a random, completely unplanned venture so I just wondered about relatively aimlessly. I decided to take photos of those things that appealed to me at the moment. This was a restored wooden panel from the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. It had a cool backstory, buried under the bleachers at Soldier Field or something, so I photoed.



I can't help it - always on the lookout for things I can use in teaching. Another for my collection of Buddha statue poses sharing the principles of Buddhism. 




.... and another ....


 .... and one more - apparently felt it was about time for a selfie.




So this was cool - a cutlery set worn by somebody in Mongolia a long time ago. 


I collect chopsticks and would love to get my hands on this pair.


Paradise Lost by Raqib Shaw. This was definitely the highlight of the trip; partly because I had no idea it was here and never heard of it, but mainly because is was amazing! It has been one of the premiere visiting pieces at the museum for some time but I did not know so it was extra excitement when I walked into the room and saw this visual cacophony spread along the wall. It tells of the memories of Shaw growing up in the dichotomous setting of the violent conflict torn yet stunningly beautiful region of Kashmir.


Awe!! Adorable monkeys living an idyllic peaceful existence in this ethereal setting .... 


.... cuddling a little antelope - how sweet .... 


..........



..... maybe not .... 


Look at the cute monkeys! Yes child lets move along now. This was the dominant theme of the mural - stunningly beautiful scenes mixed with dramatic brutality. The beauty draws the spectator in for a closer look and then the details of the scene reveal a shocking reality - at least this is what happened to me, repeatedly.



The above and following simply drew me in for a closer look. I guess I just liked them, would like them in my house. This one is of Thanksgiving painted in 1935.


Easy one - snowboard company partnering with artists who focuses on indigenous designs. I believe every year they come out with a  one of a kind design for a board?!  Guess it was about time for another selfie. 


Cool


Not sure what drew me in hear - it was heavily textured which was cool and the colors were really unique. Hard to get this in a photo.


This was fun and funny and creepy all at once. Housewives simply having a little get together. Looks nice until you notice some of the proportions - and the knees ... 


Super vibrant - I like impressionism - cool things with color and perspective of subject relating to time and space.


Always a good time with Senor Dali .... 






No comments: